One of the most common tasks I have to do with Technology is SSHing to various devices. Granted, you could just use the Linux Command line ssh command, you have to remember all the details like the IP and user name ande password... While all good things to know and remember, it can become rather tedious when you have to do the same tasks again and again and again...

In an effort to figure out what to do with this HDD sitting on my desk, I hassled just about everyone at my work whose technical skills and knowledge I trust how to take the next step in this. While I had a few ideas in mind, I needed some sounding boards to flesh out some ideas. Despite working for a very high-end network security company, there was little 'extra' info that was presented to me.

To be purely honest, I was rather disappointed with the suggestions that were offered. I kindbof expected a little more, or maybe that just the level I'm working at... But the one thing that was od most value in these interactions was that a coworker lent me an IDE to USB adapter. Awesome!

But how to mount and use?...

So I hate Rogers, and all the crippleware they insist on putting on the phones they sell, and let's not forget to mention all the built-in vulnerabilities Samsung insists on installing as well. It took me a while to eventually get done, but I managed to flash my Samsung Galaxy S3 with Cyanogenmod 10.2, and it has never been better. I will go over all the headaches I encountered, as well as how I went about getting it flashed. While I did this all from a Linux desktop, the instructions are there for Windows as well.

 

My preferred Linux distro is CrunchBang. I have that as my current web server, Lab desktop at work, home desktop, and an old laptop. It is superb on the older stuff, without sacrificing much ease of use. I recently installed it on what will be a temporary server while I segregate other tasks off my web server. During the install process I chose British English, rather than American English in an effort to de-Americanize things. Unknown to me until just now, this also meant that my keyboard layout went to British English as well. Here's how I went about changing the keyboard layout...